Mutton or lamb pieces from leg or shoulder - 1/2 kg,
Curd - 115 gm ( beaten ),
Red chilli pwd - 1 tsp,
Corriander pwd - 2 tbsp,
Cumin pwd - 1 and 1/2 tsp,
Onion - 1 ( grated ),
Garlic and ginger paste - 2 tsp ,
Cloves whole - 6,
Black cardamom whole - 3,
Cinnamon stick - 1 ( 2 inch ),
Bay leaves - 2,
Oil - 2 tbsp and ghee - 2 tbsp- ( use 4 tbsp of oil if you do not like ghee ),
Onion - 3 medium size - thinly and evenly sliced,
Salt to taste,
Green chilli -2- deseeded and chopped or you can just make a slit in the middle.
Saffron - a pinch diluted in warm water .
Water - 2 and 1/2 cup or 650 ml
- Take a deep pan and heat 2 and 1/2 cups of water.
- Take a bowl and mix mutton pieces, red chilli pwd, corriander pwd , cumin pwd, ginger garlic paste , ground or shredded onion , curd , cloves , big cardamom , cinnamon and bay leaves.
- When water is warm add the mutton mixture and let it come to boil.
- As it starts to boil , lower the heat and put a lid on it .Let it cook for 20 or till meat is half cooked .
Let the mutton cook on simmer .
- Take a kadhai and put 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp ghee and fry the sliced onions to golden brown .
- Close the gas and tilt the kadhai and with your spatula bring all the onions on one side .The extra oil will gather on one side .
- Take out the onions in a bowl and let it cool and then grind it in a grinder .
- The left over ghee or oil will be used to cook to tender the mutton.When mutton is half cooked ( 20 minutes ) close gas .
- Take a small bowl and put 1/ 2cup of water and dip each mutton pieces to remove any spice on it .The above water should be added to the strainer in next step.
- Take a bowl and put a strainer on it and cover with a muslin or cheese cloth.Pour the mutton gravy without the pieces through the strainer .
- Squeeze out all the liquid so that maximum flavour is extracted . Since it is hot ,press with a spoon and as it cools down use your hands to take out all the juice.
- Heat the kadahi in which onions were fried.Pour the strained liquid ,mutton, fried onion coarse paste and salt .Be careful with the salt as the gravy is thin.
- When the gravy comes to boil , lower the gas and put a lid on it .Let it cook for 20 to 25 minutes or till the mutton is tender .
- Add saffron water and green chilli .
- Let it cook for few seconds .
- Taste salt .
- Tabak Mans is ready. But if you like it dry then let it simmer till water dries up and only ghee or oil remain.