- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp peeled, finely chopped root ginger
- 2 tbsp finely chopped or crushed garlic
- 3 hot green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1.75 kg whole chicken, skinned
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Marinating time 30 minutes
- Resting time 10-15 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a blender and process to a paste.
- Using a sharp knife, make two deep, diagonal cuts into each breast of the chicken, going all the way down to the bone. Make two equally deep slashes in the thighs and two in the drumsticks as well. Place the chicken, breast side up, on a roasting tray lined with enough foil to cover the bird completely. Pour the marinade paste over the chicken, rubbing it well into all the cuts. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chilli powder and black pepper over the chicken evenly. Wrap up the chicken in the foil so it is completely covered, with the tightly closed seam at the top. Bake in the middle of the hot oven for one hour. Unwrap, without letting the juices run out, and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes, basting two or three times with the juices.
- Check the chicken is cooked by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh, between the leg and the body. If the juices run clear with no trace of pink, it is cooked. Continue to cook for a little longer if needed.
- Set the chicken in a warm place to rest for 10–15 minutes, then carve and serve.